Do you need to complete a Self-Assessment Tax Return? If you do, how do you do it? And when? Our handy guide gives you all of the information you need.

You may need to complete a Self-Assessment Tax Return if any of the following apply in a tax year:

  • You were self-employed
  • You were a company director
  • You received dividends of £10,000 or more
  • You earned £2,500 or more in untaxed income (such as from rental property)
  • You earned £10,000 or more from savings or investments
  • You received profits from assets subject to capital gains tax
  • You received child benefit and you and/or your partner earns £50,000 or more.

Our guide then tells you:

  • How to register for Self-Assessment with HMRC
  • How to file your tax return
  • What financial records you need to keep
  • How to pay any tax you owe
  • Deadlines for registering for Self-Assessment and filing your tax return
  • Penalties if you miss the deadlines
  • Whether there are any excuses that HMRC will accept if you do miss the deadline

We can help you with all of these and go into great depth but, first of all, take a read of our latest Practice Update to find out more. You can download it here:

How do I complete a Self-Assessment Tax Return?

You can, of course, file your own tax return. However, if you do need any help, please let us know – we’d be happy to help. It’s what we do, so we’re experts!

And, if you found this useful, please share it using the icons on the left. Thank you.

Any questions?

If you’d like a meeting or a Skype call to discuss this, please get in touch with your favourite Liverpool accountant

We look forward to hearing from you.